Friday, April 23, 2010

A Support Group of Two

I have been in radiation for a week now and a few days my right foot starts to swell.  So I go to see the Radiation Oncologist.  While waiting for the Doctor I start talking to his nurse.  He tells me that he has had a sarcoma in his intestines and lungs!.  So I am thinking this guy is Lance Armstrong like survivor, who has thus far beat the odds.  He said that occurred only 1 1/2 years ago!  I told him he looked great for having all that.  I was almost in tears.  A sarcoma success story with a case far worse than mine.  This is the motivational stuff I need to hear.  He is my new friend.  I got his phone number. 

The Radiation Oncologist recommended a doppler ultrasound (diagnostic imaging that shows blood circulation).  Sure enough I have a blood clot (deep vein thrombosis).  This can be potentially life-threatening but mine was caught before the clot heads upward towards the lungs (pulmonary embolism).  Probable cause:  the tumor pressing on the nerves combined with inactivity.  Just another something in the "this too shall pass" category.  Just like the rest of this whole odyessy.  So now I am receiving or giving myself 3 injections a day of Lovenox.  I am told the treatment for this is 6 months.  Seems like a lot of shots.